Crows Dive Bombing in Seattle

Well, apparently it crow dive bombing season in Seattle.

I've made it a habit to take a daily walk to cope with working from home during the COVID lockdown.

I typically do a loop passing through Pike Place market and the Amazon campus. For 3 consecutive days when I was close to the market on Elliott Ave I got dive bombed / attacked by crows. Quite clearly, they remembered my face and now will attack me if I pass on this path. I thought I had solved the problem by walking on Western Ave. Things were good until I got dive bombed by another crow couple near the Amazon spheres!!

I had to come back home and do some research. Apparently, this is the time of the year in Seattle when crow hatchlings are leaving their nest or are in the next. They aren't very good flyers and their parents are keeping an eye on them while chasing away any threats. They remember a face and also spread the word to their friends!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/19/415739870/they-will-strafe-you-bird-expert-says-of-seattles-dive-bombing-crows

https://www.seattletimes.com/video/997201381001/crows-in-full-dive-bomb-mode

Comments

Popular Posts