Switching from a Windows Phone [Nokia Lumia 920] to an iPhone 6 to a Microsoft Lumia 950

Update Jan 2016: So I've been using the Microsoft Lumia 950 lately as my primary phone. I notice that for the most part I am happy with my Lumia. I return to my IPhone for a few apps - Robinhood (MUST), Google Photos (LIKE), Stocks (LIKE), News (LIKE) ...

I had never spent a single dollar on an Apple product till January 9th 2015, when I paid for a gold 16GB, iPhone 6.

I've only used a Windows Smartphone thus far. That was not too irrational given that I work for Microsoft. So what caused the change?

Financial

  • I was due for an upgrade and each month that I did not upgrade with my plan with ATT, I was effectively losing money.
  • So why didn't I upgrade to another Windows Phone (I currently have a Nokia Lumia 920)? I just don't see a next gen Windows Phone option to upgrade to. Maybe these devices will be timed to be released with Windows Phone OS 10 but they are just not there now. I don't see any indication of them or an upgrade timeline.
  • An iPhone is just worth more on eBay if I were to sell it. If I didn't like it I could just get rid of it.
Technology
  • It will be kind of fun to learn how a different Smartphone works even if it is from a competitor.
  • Apple owners love their products. It would be good to understand why. Maybe once I did I might be able to credibly talk about the good aspects of the Windows ecosystem.
  • The Microsoft mandate has been redefined as a platform and productivity company. It will be interesting to see how our products work on the iOS platform. 
  • Apps. I don't use many but just for once if there's an app for something I don't want to hear that there isn't a version for my smartphone.
It will be an interesting experiment. My Lumia 920 will be carefully stowed away in case it needs to be called into service again!

Comments

Popular Posts